Sunday, August 19, 2012

Safe



When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
Psalm 56:3 (NIV)


I have this bad habit.

I worry when Jonathan is gone. Now I'll be the first to admit that I'm a recovering worrier. You could even call me an ex-worrier in counseling. I've had this struggle my entire life. 

So Jonathan left this past weekend, and of course, before bed, this thought went through my mind, "Michelle, you better check all the locks, because someone is going to break in tonight and kill you if the doors aren't secure." 

Wha?!?!?!?! I know. That's ridiculous, right? 

But my dear readers, I actually thought it might be true, and began to worry. I wasn't I-don't-want-to-see-that-horror-movie scared, I was I-need-Jonathan-to-talk-me-off-the-ledge scared. But why?

The Bible tells us that Satan is the father of lies (John 8:44), and he'll do anything to get us off course. For me, he knows that scaring me into a worry frenzy is the best way to ruin my confidence in God, and I can choose to believe Satan's lies, or I can choose to believe God's promises. God never leaves us. If you struggle with worry or fear, take heart, because God is bigger! I slept just fine last night because God was with me, and I decided long ago that I would refuse to worry, because God holds each day of my life in his hands and knew me before I was ever born. Why would I not trust him in all circumstances?


This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.

Psalm 91:2 (NLT)







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...