1. Do not underestimate a good swaddle. Swaddling is magical.
2. Muscus is a big deal. If they can't breathe, they can't breathe.
3. Sleep is overrated. Enjoy the late nights. I betcha you'll look back someday and wish for those quiet times again. You can't hold them forever.
4. Eating well makes a huge difference. It not only helps you feel better, but if you're a feeding mother, you'll learn the necessity of good food. It's the difference between a content sleepy baby or a gassy cranky one. Eat smart.
5. Prayer and quiet time is necessary. End of story.
6. Learn to say no. Sure, you shouldn't let a baby completely determine your life, but things will change a little, and that's okay. It's kind of what you signed up for, right? We still go out with friends, but we also set limits. We do extra stuff only twice a week, and we try to be back home by 8pm. This stage won't last forever, and for us, it's what works.
7. Exercise. You can't take care of others if you don't take care of yourself first.
8. No one's kid is the same, so not all advice should be either. Use what you can, and don't worry if what works for someone else doesn't work for you. I bet your kid will be just fine if you choose to have him on a schedule or not. :)
9. Leave the dirty dishes. This one is hard for me because I like a clean house, but guess what I love more? And guess what else? I'M NOT MISSING IT.