Sunday, February 5, 2012

Bierocks

My mom used to make bierocks on special occasions for all the kids. Now I make them a few times a year, and every time, I remember just why I love them! They are homemade rolls stuffed with hamburger (or turkey) and sauerkraut. And don't you dare dis em til ya try em!
Ingredients:
Filling- 1 lb hamburger meat (we sometimes use lean turkey)
1 can sauerkraut
2 cloves garlic
1/2 c chopped onion
little bit of salt and pepper

Bread- 3 1/2 c white flour
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 1/4 c milk
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brown 1 lb hamburger, then add the onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and sauerkraut. Let this simmer for a bit while you make your bread.
3. Mix 2 cups of flour and yeast in a large bowl (I use a kitchen aid with the bread hook for this). In a seperate bowl, heat and stir milk, sugar, shortening, and salt (when warmed) into the flour mixture. Add the remaining flour and egg. Beat on low for 30 seconds, then beat on high for 3 minutes. You want the dough to be moderately stiff, so knead it until it is (about 6-8 minutes).
4. Then you'll form small flat circles about 4 inches in diameter and fill with your warm hamburger mix. Pinch the dough around the meat so it is completely enclosed and flip the roll over so the pretty part is on top. :)
5. Bake 20 minutes.

I recommend serving these with mustard!
Enjoy!


3 comments:

Brenda Joy said...

thanks for posting! one of my best friend's grandma's made these growing up!

Michelle said...

No problem! These are the best!!:)

Andrea said...

Michelle! I need to try these I have never had them before! Miss you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...