Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Vulnerability

What is it? Vulnerability is the willingness to say I love you first, it's doing something where there's no guarantee that it's going to work out, and it's breathing through things you don't understand. It doesn't come easy for me, and sometimes calling it hard is an understatement. Are you scared of being that open with someone? I know that I often put some walls up when it comes to working with certain people, or trusting that someone is going to come through like they say they will. But, I believe that vulnerability actually makes you beautiful. I didn't say comfortable, I said beautiful. It is the birthplace of creativity and belonging and love. It comes at a high cost, but has an even higher reward.

Why do we numb vulnerability sometimes? When we do that, we are trying to numb our emotions. Do you see the problem with that? You just can't numb emotion. So, when you try, you're also going to numb joy and gratitude and happiness. Then, believe it or not, you'll be miserable again looking for purpose and meaning all over again, when what you really want is just to be vulnerable. Jesus calls us to freedom in him.

What can you do?
Let yourself be deeply seen.
Love with your whole heart, even though there is no guarantee.
Practice gratitude and joy.

We should all say with confidence, I. Am. Enough.

You'll have to excuse me, because I'm about to go sneak into Truett's room while he sleeps to tell him that he's worthy of love, no matter what he does to mess things up along the way, and that he certainly, certainly belongs.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...