Friday, March 30, 2012

Servant Leadership

My lovely dear readers,

As always, when I post something like this, I don't ever want to give the perception that I am perfect. Far from it in fact. The only reason I have these thoughts is because I, myself, am learning each day, and sharing from my heart the perspective I've gained in the process. I've been reading a book called Lead Like Jesus and it's full of some really great new thoughts.

It's amazing to me that even at the ripe old age of 26, I'm still learning all kinds of new things about myself, about Jesus, and about leading others in all kinds of areas in my life. I lead little Truett each day, I lead my thoughts as I choose my attitude each morning, I lead projects at work, and I lead other relationships that I'm in. There are things that I lead that I suck at, and things that I lead that are great. Good and bad can easily go hand-in-hand with leadership after all, right? We all have different gifts and talents.

Can't it all be summed up though in a few simple words? How would Jesus do your job differently than you do? How would he parent his children? How would he lead that meeting? How would he respond to that missed phone call? How would he react to being 20 minutes late because he lost his keys?

Life isn't bout what you get, it's about what you give. It's about humility and grace, and an open reliance on God. After all, "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." -1 Corinthians 13:1-7

Each day I keep in mind that I have not been called to success, but to be an active agent of God's plan for this world of beautiful people. I am the object of God's affection, and so is that annoying woman you work with, and that man who's taking too long to order, and that baby that won't stop crying on the plane. They are also the object of God's affection, and he loves them deeply.

Do you know yourself? Are you willing to surrender what you want to carry out God's will? Your success in life depends solely on your ability to follow God's directions. In fact, isn't the level of control he has in your life is going to directly reflect your joy? Sure, because he absolutely knows best, no question about it.

Are you really truly willing to serve others in every area of your life to be a servant leader? How would that change your life?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...