You will need:
2 cans (28 oz. each) peeled whole tomatoes, drained & liquid reserved
2 1/2 Tbsp. packed dark brown sugar
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 c. tomato liquid (saved from above)
3. c. chicken broth
3 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/4 tsp. groud allspice
1 can (5 oz.) evaporated milk
1/4 c. shredded fresh basil (this is no problem if you have a nice neighbor like Mr. Biggs!)
salt and pepper
1. First, preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.2. Spray the baking sheet with nonstick spray and arrange the tomatoes in a single layer and sprinkle with brown sugar and onion.
3. Don't forget to save your tomato liquid--there is quite a bit!
4. Bake 25-30 minutes or until they start to get dry and brown.
5. Let tomatoes cool slightly and then finely chop.
6. Put all other ingredients in a crockpot (except evaporated milk, basil, and salt and pepper).
7. Cook on low 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
8. Add remaining ingredients and cook for an additional 30 minutes.