Monday, June 10, 2013

Father's Day

Any mothers of young kids out there struggling with what to do for the Father at your house on Father's Day? Why this stresses me, I have no idea. I know Jonathan would die if he knew it did, because he doesn't care as much about cutsie homemade handprints and that type of thing. He loves Truett to death, but all of this worry and work I'm putting into thinking of the perfect thing started to get to me. It's the part of me that wants him to feel so loved and appreciated that it's not even funny, so I tend to put ridiculous expectations on myself to deliver the perfect Pinteresty gift. Am I the only one? So, I paused. I decided to talk with Jonathan last night. It went something like this:

me: Hey, can I ask you something?

him: Sure, what's up.

me: Well, I know Father's Day is coming up, and I just wondered how you feel most loved. What I mean is, when you think about Father's Day in your mind, what do you expect the day to look like? What would be a perfect day to you? I can't promise that I'm going to do all of the things that you say, but I think it will help me to understand how you feel loved and appreciated as a dad. Does that make sense?

him: Michelle, that's very nice, but honestly, I just want time with my family. Uninterrupted quality time. You don't have to top something you did last year every time you know, or make me some cute gift. You can if you want, of course, but it's not expected. I just want to sleep in, and spend time with my favorite family. Does that sound ok?

And with a simple two-minute conversation, my stress plummeted to zero. Open communication my friends, open communication. No surprises ruined, no feelings hurt, no expectations unmet. This father's day may just be the best yet, even with no Pinterest project. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...