Saturday, June 15, 2013

Teaching the Bible to Truett

It's easy to roll over in bed each morning and check Facebook on my phone. It's also just as easy to roll over, open the Bible App, and read God's word. Both take about the same amount of time, but the difference in the end result of my day is staggering.

As one of my goals this year, I've decided to start reading my paper Bible in the kitchen, and it's not because I don't love YouVersion. I love it so much it hurts, actually, because it has truly transformed how much I engage with the Bible! But, something I've realized these past few weeks more and more is that my son, Truett, at just 18 months old, doesn't understand that I'm not just texting or playing on my phone. He doesn't see me read the Bible using an app, so ya know what, I'm going to show him. When he gets older and understands that I'm reading the Bible every morning, then I'm ok with reverting back to my phone, but until then, this small little change is really important to me. I need him to actually SEE Jesus in my life. I need him to know, without a doubt, that Jesus is important in this house, and in my life. I want to be a light that shines Jesus in our house, and this choice starts in me.

And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. 
Deuteronomy 6:7 NLT

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...