Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Some great bible verses for thought

"Do everything without complaining or arguing..." 2:14
This one is simple, plain and obvious, but it is also so easily forgotten in a society when everyone wants what they want. We complain about our hair color and argue that our $30,000/year salary should be more. We complain about our meat being overcooked when there are thousands starving in Africa. We complain that we have no money to spend on Starbucks coffee and we have to go home empty handed, and right then, we have already forgotten that millions in the world don't even have a home to go to. We argue about race, when we are wasting so much time loving one another. We argue about parking tickets when we know we weren't following the rules in the first place. We don't realize how much time we waste on the stupid things and the selfish gains. If we could just learn to look up.

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. " Philippians 2:3
I'm reminded of one of my very favorite quotes from Mother Teresa who once said, "If you can't feed 100 people, than just feed one." 

"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." Lamentations 3:22-24
He'll be there. Right in time,  he'll be there. I'm learning that as we speak.


ON A SIDE NOTE: I'd like to thank Jonathan for the story about the cracked chips ahoy cookie last night, I think his name was Sammy, yes Sammy. He was lost and alone in that poor cookie jar for 2 1/2 weeks! Then, thankfully Timmy ate him, crushed nicely between a few oreos that took pity on Sammy and took him in, allowing him to be mushed between their white and african american flavors. Timmy got a "magical" package of interesting cookies and lucky Sammy was finally eaten.  I'm glad it all worked out. But REALLY, it's lucky Michelle, because without Jonathan, none of this lovely story would have been possible and I would never have gotten in my minimum quota of 100 laughs per week.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...