Saturday, June 26, 2010

Fruit

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."
-Galatians 5:22-23


What does that have to do with anything? Well, we can tell how good a tree is by the fruit that it produces right? If I have an apple tree in my front yard, and all that it drops from it are nasty brown apples, it's not a great tree (or I have a worm infestation problem)! But, if I have an apple tree in my front yard, and it produces ripe red apples by the bucket-loads, I've got a pretty great tree. It's the same with our lives. What kind of fruit is falling off of your tree?

Did you know that the bible specifically talks about being able to tell what kind of person someone is by the fruit that they produce? Now, I'm certainly not saying that we should go around judging people--absolutely not. But what I am saying is that it's evident when someone has great fruit. It's evident when we see someone who not only loves God, but loves those around them, makes time for other people, lives a life of joy, is patient and kind when people are terrible to them, and responds in self-control to situations that are far from easy.

I'm not perfect--definitely not perfect. I'm only 24 and learning every day how to become better. I've failed this week at several things, but that doesn't mean I should give up. I need to keep watering my tree daily, because unless I stay close to God, make time for him, and appreciate him like he deserves, how am I ever going to grow my tree? I want good fruit. I want all of those things that the fruit of the spirit is. And, in order to get them, I'm going to have to work hard at growing my tree.

Is that are anyone in your life that helps you grow your tree?
Have you thanked them lately?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...